Re: Disk support in RedBoot?

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:51:14AM +0100, Andy Jackson wrote:
> I've been trying to enable disk support in RedBoot and it appears that some
> of the components aren't present in the repository. For instance, the CDL
> file references fs/iso9660fs.c if support for ISO9660 filesystems is
> required, but there doesn't seem to be a file of that name.

If i remember correctly, there was something dodge with the copyright
for the ISO9660 support, so it never made it into anoncvs. Searching
the mail archive might reveal more. Maybe that CDL should be
removed....

> Similarly for
> FAT support, the required pieces don't seem to be present (where are
> CYGSEM_REDBOOT_DISK_FAT16 or redboot_fat16_funs defined for instance).
>
> I'm sure that this is just me missing something obvious, so apologies in
> advance and thank your for all help received.

If i understand the architecture of redboot correctly, there are two
ways to access filesystems.

I think you can just use the fileio layer to access any filesystem
which eCos supports via the fileio layer. So this should include FAT,
RAM, ROM and jffs2.

Or you can use simplied versions of filesystems which are built
directly into Redboot and just implement read only support. This is
how ext2 works. Looking at the code, some point in the past there must
of also been support for FAT, but it looks like it never made it into
the anoncvs repository. Maybe the x-Cygnus x-Redhat guys can say more.

    Andrew