Re: intel 82544 ethernet driver

Hello Nick,

This is the only 8254x driver in existence, it works for all other
8254x variants and should work for this one.
It doesn't, or I use it incorrectly.
It is 82545GM chip with serdes.
In theory all you need
to do to get this controller working is to add its device ID to the
PCI match function.
First thing I changed was pci match function - I added 0x1028 and now device is detected.

The autonegotiation doesn't work, first I though that's the problem with ecos, but then I realized, that same problem exists in Linux kernel.
Linux checks for link even if autonegotiation fails, I've added similiar code to check_link function and now it also works in ecos.

I am able to read MAC address from eeprom, but I needed to add 0x1028 to "if" statement, because default behaviour didn't work.

The big problem is endianess. This driver contains macros like READMEM16, READMEM32, etc...
They works wrong on my system (ixdp2801).
I needed to implement my own functions to swap bytes.

Maybe you could answer my more "high-level" question:

BOOTP fails (it works in Linux), so I set IP to 128.0.0.25 in the function net_init() in the RedBoot source.
Then I call following command:

ping -n 1 -h 128.0.0.25

My debugging output shows, that driver sends data with i82544_send() function.
But it never receives anything.

How should I configure network in RedBoot to use such ping command? I mean - do I need to configure IP, netmask and stuff some way?
RedBoot knows that it pings 128.0.0.25 from 128.0.0.25, but I don't fully understand how hardware knows, that it should ping itself.
Another thing - how the card should tell other side, that it has IP 128.0.0.25, so the other side could find it?
I don't see any code in RedBoot which does that, is the BOOTP only option?

Thanks for help.

--
Jacek Poplawski
Software Engineer

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s). Please direct any additional queries to: communications@s3group.com. Thank You.