Re: FreeBSD Netstack EPIPE error

Bell, Andrew [Allen & Heath UK] wrote:
Hello All,

I'm having FreeBSD netstack issues with an eCos port for a Motorola 852T
board based on an A&M Adder.

Our eCos application keeps dropping socket connections with an EPIPE
(broken pipe) after a period of high tx activity. The ethereal capture
of the stream shows the eCos nestack shortly after the burst of tx
activity stops sending acks to the front end, ignores retransmits from
the front end, then eventually emits an out of order segment which
ethereal calculates a RTT of 1158229289 seconds!

I've run the bsd tests, enabled stack checking and enabled assertions.
I've turned on MBUF warnings and enabled cyg_io_eth_net_debug and
increased CYGPKG_NET_USAGE to (1008 *1024) + (MAXSOCK * 1024), all of
which show no clues.

If anyone can point me in the right diections I'd be grateful.

AFAIK, EPIPE is only returned if the receiving end of a TCP connection breaks off and the Tx end is still trying to send.

Are both "ends" of your connections eCos applications?  On the same
or different machines?

Is this failure something that can be tested/demonstrated separately?
In other words, can you send a test case that duplicates the problem?

Finally, do you have any idea if it's hardware/platform specific?