ZLIB uncompress() returns Z_DATA_ERROR when reading images created with older ZLIB

Hi, I'm looking for some help with a ZLIB problem. Our current eCos code base is using ZLIB code from the 2003-06-19 eCos snapshot. Our eCos application uses ZLIB to compress() data before storing it to flash, and then uses ZLIB to uncompress() it when reading it from flash.

I am trying to upgrade our ZLIB support to the current head revision but have found that the new ZLIB code is not able to uncompress() data which was compressed with the old ZLIB code. Doing so returns a Z_DATA_ERROR. Does anyone have any idea of what's going on here, or how to debug it? Specifically: any ideas on how I can get the new ZLIB to read the old compressed data?

As a side note: the current ZLIB does seem to work correctly with newly compressed data. In other words, it is able to uncompress() data which has been compressed with the new ZLIB, as well as data compressed with recent gzip host utilities. So it looks like something peculiar to the way the old eCos/ZLIB previously compress()'d images.

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Dan Jakubiec
Systech Corporation