Re: Time questions

From: Andre-John Mas <ajmas@sympatico.ca>
Date:  Thu, 2 Nov 2006 19:16:45 -0500

>Hi,
>
>I have been asked to correct an issue in our code. The time returned by the function:
>
>   time( time_t* )
>
>returns the right value, when the system has been set using SNTP. The
>issue is that a call to cyg_current_time() is made in part of our code, since a requirement had been made to have the time in
>milliseconds. From what I can tell this function only returns the
>time since the system booted and not the date as set by SNTP, which
>seems to be maintained by the wallclock code? Is this correct?
>
>If my observation is right is there a suitable alternative call
>that would allow to have calendar date/time in milliseconds?
>
>Andre

If you want that time() returns the current time, you should have first set (correct) the current time by calling cyg_libc_time_settime(). The arg passed can the timestamp in second obtained from SNTP if you want to synchronnnise your system. time(NULL) returns time since the system booted because there is no wallclock device in your hardware but just a wallclock emulator.
Hope this can help you!
/////////////////////////////
// cyg_libc_time_settime() //
/////////////////////////////
//
// This function sets the current time for the system. The time is
// specified as a time_t in UTC. It returns non-zero on error.
//

extern cyg_bool
cyg_libc_time_settime( time_t __utctime );

FALL Birahim
Elsys-Design
www.elsys-design.com

Sent via the WebMail system at elsys-design.com