Re: Limit region of flash used by RedBoot for FIS?

Grant Edwards wrote:
I've got a target containing a 4MB Intel StrataFlash.  The top
1MB of the part is used by hardware and is not available for
normal FIS usage.

Upon examination of RedBoot's FIS code, it appears that it will
always use all of flash for FIS (after reserving a portion for
RedBoot+config as required). Would the maintainers be willing
to entertain an FIS package option that could be used to limit
the region of flash used?

Yes, there are CDL options that say where to put things. These can easily be adjusted to leave the top
1MB alone, etc.
It might be useful to allow low-level RedBoot CLI access to
that top 1MB so that under certain circumstances the data in
that section could be updated, but I would definitely need it
to be untouched by commands such as "fis init -f".

Or should I just hack the StrataFlash driver so that it returns
a flash_info.end value that's 1MB below the top end of the
part?

The RedBoot and eCos flash code always erases blocks
individually so I'm not going to loose that top 1MB to an
entire-chip erase operation, right?

--
Gary Thomas
Capt, CAP CO-021