Re: moving RedBoot config from one device to another - is "dd" enough?

Andrew Lunn wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

(...)

If I do this on a "master" device (Linux already started):

# /dev/mtd3 is a "RedBoot config" partition
dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=new-redboot-config

And then, on the devices I want to reconfigure (Linux already started):

dd if=new-redboot-config of=/dev/mtd3

Will this work properly? Will the new device have its starting sequence changed to:

RedBoot> fis load kern2
RedBoot> exec

?

Perhaps, I should use something like "erase /dev/mtd3 0 12 1" first?

The basic concept is O.K. Im not familiar with mtd, so i've no idea if you need to erase the block first, or if writing to it will automagically erase it.

I needed to erase it before writing the kernel, so perhaps it's similar with RedBoot config.

Or maybe, there are some tools to manipulate the RedBoot config, without actually starting RedBoot / using "fconfig"?

-- Tomasz Chmielewski http://wpkg.org