Re: FreeBSD still lacking bridge support?

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 04:26:10AM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Is the FreeBSD stack still missing bridge support?  (He asked
> hesitently, expecting to be told "yes".) I see the
> CYGPKG_NET_BRIDGE option in the openbsd CDL, but not in the
> FreeBSD CDL.
>
> While we started with the OpenBSD stack back in 1.3.1 days, we
> switched over to the FreeBSD stack several years ago (just
> before 2.0, IIRC).
>
> Now we are considering an addition to the product line that
> would have two Ethernet interfaces and need to act as an
> Ethernet bridge.
>
> I don't relish the thought of using the OpenBSD stack for one
> model and the FreeBSD stack for the rest.  (The presence of the
> second Ethernet interface and the "bridging" feature would be
> the only difference).
>
> Neither do I want to switch back to the OpenBSD stack for the
> entire product line since FreeBSD is more actively supported
> and showed noticable performance improvements.
>
> How difficult would it be to add bridging support to the
> FreeBSD stack?  Is the bridging code present in the FreeBSD
> source tree but not enabled, or is there actually no bridging
> code in the FreeBSD source tree?

I added the bridging support to the OpenBSD stack. I think it took me
about a day. In fact the hardest part was the "userspace" tool to
setup the bridge and show the tables. This had lots of memory leaks
since it was written to run in a process environment with a cleanup on
exit.

I would not expect a huge effort to make it work, but i've not looked
at the code...

   Andrew