Re: FreeBSD still lacking bridge support?

Andrew Lunn wrote:
On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 04:26:10AM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
Is the FreeBSD stack still missing bridge support? (He asked
hesitently, expecting to be told "yes".) I see the
CYGPKG_NET_BRIDGE option in the openbsd CDL, but not in the
FreeBSD CDL.

While we started with the OpenBSD stack back in 1.3.1 days, we
switched over to the FreeBSD stack several years ago (just
before 2.0, IIRC).

Now we are considering an addition to the product line that
would have two Ethernet interfaces and need to act as an
Ethernet bridge.

I don't relish the thought of using the OpenBSD stack for one
model and the FreeBSD stack for the rest.  (The presence of the
second Ethernet interface and the "bridging" feature would be
the only difference).

Neither do I want to switch back to the OpenBSD stack for the
entire product line since FreeBSD is more actively supported
and showed noticable performance improvements.

How difficult would it be to add bridging support to the
FreeBSD stack?  Is the bridging code present in the FreeBSD
source tree but not enabled, or is there actually no bridging
code in the FreeBSD source tree?

I added the bridging support to the OpenBSD stack. I think it took me about a day. In fact the hardest part was the "userspace" tool to setup the bridge and show the tables. This had lots of memory leaks since it was written to run in a process environment with a cleanup on exit.

I would not expect a huge effort to make it work, but i've not looked
at the code...

It would be great if this was done - we could totally deprecate the older OpenBSD stack :-)