Re: Managing eCos modifications

On 12/5/06, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
I'm still new at eCos, even though I've been toying around with it for over
a year. What stymies me is, among other things, the persistent need to
modify bits of the HAL, to fix problems that are sometimes due to minor
differences between my hardware and the hardware it was originally designed
for.

Is there a cleaner alternative than merely hacking the source file in the
local copy of the repository? If I was experienced enough with eCos to take
responsibility for making sure my change was appropriate for the rest of the
world, then I'd just fix it in place, and learn how to submit the change to
the community, but that's a separate issue. In the general case, I really
just want to make the hack for my own hardware, and I'd like to do it in
some way that doesn't get overwritten the next time I update eCos. What's
the easiest way to deal with this?

What I did (when I was keeping up with ecos diligently) is check out copies of the ecos tree to a local directory, then check them in to our local CVS server as a 'vendor branch' with a tag specifying the checkout date. our local CVS would then keep track of our local changes and help with merging.

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Tracking%20Third-Party%20Sources%20(Vendor%20Branches)

explains it.

--
Hardware, n.:
       The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.