Re: eCos and VMware experiences

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 13:11 -0500, John Kane wrote:
> I take it you've got eCos playing nicely with VMware?
> We've got a couple of projects on the drawing board;
> how's it been working out for you?
>
>   --- John Kane, southern NH

I am very impressed with VMWare.  Though I a developing for an embedded
environment, I have been able to accomplish many tasks, particularly
related to networking and message passing, by using VMWare.  There can
be some problems with special hardware interfaces.  You are probably
aware that there is an i386 w/VMWare template for eCos.

I would recommend you set up your virtual machines using the custom set
up option.  Configure for "Other Linux" and choose the 2.4 kernel
option.  The other configuration items are up to you.

Then I used a ISO version of Damn Small Linux, which can be run from a
virtual cdrom, and setup the partitions on the virtual drives.  I
allowed a 300MB partition for the installation of the Damn Small Linux.
I use the Linux for maintenance of the virtual drives.  GRUB also gets
installed as part of the package.  However, you will have to download
and rebuild GRUB for network booting.  Once that's done, you can have
your test setup and debug environment on the same machine or different
machines if you choose.

I have tried to give you the high points.  Let me know if you need
additional help.

Have a great day,
Don Walton