SIGSEV, Segmentation Fault: When attempting to run "Hello World' on Synthetic Linux

I have been able to compile the application, after running over several stumbling blocks.  But
when I run the 'Hello World' application from the command line, nothing happens. Running from gdb
gives the following error:

_memcpy (s1=0x0, s2=0x1010218, n=2) at /opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/packages/infra/v2_0/src/memcpy.c:165

Program was compiled using native gcc compiler and the i386 pre-built version installed with eCOS
to no avail.  Running application gives same behaviour.

I used the Synthetic Linux target with a default template to build the kernel.  I had to delete
the flag ' -finit priority' and remove a extra qualifier in thread.hxx (Cyg_Thread:: reinitialize)
before the build would complete.

Some details of the target:
- Kernel version is 2.6.18.2-34
- Linux Distro is a stripped down version of OpenSuse 10.2. (No GNOME, no KDE).
- Processor is Pentium 3.

I have been through the archives but could not find any related problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Klaus