eCos JFFS2 file system poor performance..

I am using the JFFS2 file system in my project which
is using a flash (having access time of 70 ns) as
jffs2 flash.
My project included a ARM7 processor running at 73
MHz.
I am using the JFFS2 file system with zlib compression
support. My buffering for File IO is 256 bytes. Also
the file read operation works fine but the problem
which I am facing is the time taken by the fread call
to jffs2 file system takes almost 18 ms to read a
small chunk of just 256 bytes.
Don?t this sound to be very in-efficient? Or is there
anything wrong with my system?

Those of you having similar hardware configuration, do
u also get similar performance?

Kindly let me your expert comments on this or if you
require any more details for analyzing the problem.
Early reply needed????..

Shailesh