Re: pthread processor binding

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:00:47AM -0800, Ahmed Abdelkhalek wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Nick.
>
> I was under the impression it would be possible with
> eCos, given other RTOSs (like RTEMS) support
> heterogeneous multiprocessor systems.
>
> Also, I thought the HAL was there to provide the
> necessary abstraction between the hardware and the OS.
> So having heterogeneous cpus could be taken care of by
> including several compilations of the HAL for each
> arch, with appropriate "glue".
>
> Am I missing something?

eCos is designed to have just one HAL. A lot of the interfaces to the
HAL are implemented using #define's. So it will be very difficult to
change this.

It is important to remember eCos is primarily designed for small
deeply embedded systems. SMP is not usual for such systems and AMP
even less so.

     Andrew