RE: eCos on Windows without Cygwin

Øyvind Harboe wrote

> As far as I know, MinGW binaries of GCC toolchains + eCos tools is the
> most tantalizing prospect.
>
> Since a eCos needs are so simple & unchanging, I believe a MinGW based
> package could live relatively unchanged for years.
>
> Does anyone know of any organized efforts to address these problems?

I haven't seen anything working off MinGW or MSYS. It would be a useful
thing to have around. The general feeling I have from developers using
cygwin or MinGW toolchains is however a general feeling of slowness.

Instead I have heard of developers running their eCos development
environment in a virtual machine and having different vm-images for
different situations or even development targets. Unfortunately there is no
standard for VM-images either so any VM distribution would currently be tied
to a specific product. From my own experience a VMed environment is in fact
faster than a cygwin based one. I have no idea about MinGW though.

Best regards,
Mikael H. Kjaer
IO-Connect
http://www.io-connect.com