Is cache disabling necessary during flash programming/erase cycles?

Hello folks,

Many of the flash_XXX() functions in
.../packages/io/flash/current/src/flash.c have the caches disabled while
accessing the flash.

According to flash.h - and I quote -

"Execution of flash code must be done inside a
HAL_FLASH_CACHES_OFF/HAL_FLASH_CACHES_ON region - disabling the cache on
unified cache systems is necessary to prevent burst access to the flash
area being programmed. With Harvard style caches, only the data cache
needs to be disabled, but the instruction cache is disabled for
consistency".

In our case we have a Harvard style cache running on an ARM9. The
address space covered by the flash is uncached and unbuffered (We're
running ROMRAM), so my question is:

Is disabling of the DCache really needed on such a system?

Thx in advance.

Lars Povlsen