eCos LWIP thread-safety

I'm having some trouble understanding what the thread-safety
requirements for using LWIP are.  I've been through the archives on
the LWIP mailing lists where it's explicitly stated that the low-level
APIs are not thread-safe, but I can't find an equivalent description
of the high-level socket interfaces.  It appears to depend on how the
specific OS port was done.  The reason I'm looking at this is because
I'm getting the following assertion failure:

ASSERT FAIL: <6>pbuf.c[577]pbuf_free() pbuf_free: p->ref > 0

According to the LWIP archives this assertion is often evidence of a
violation of the stack's thread-safety rules.  I'm exclusively using
the socket APIs from a single thread, so I'm wondering whether I need
to take any additional steps to satisfy these requirements.  Can
someone with a better understanding of the eCos LWIP port comment?

On the other hand, I'm running with a rather miserly buffer
allocation, and I suppose it's possible that I'm tickling some other
bug in the pbuf code.

Any thoughts and suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob.