Re: Redboot Bootable CD

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 01:56:37PM +0100, Nick Garnett wrote:
> > Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:

> > > I believe the bootable CD format is actually based around floppy. Take
> > > a read of http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html and other
> > > similar HOWTOs.
> >
> > While the current floppy code could be adapted, the simplest approach
> > is probably to build RedBoot for GRUB booting and then install GRUB on
> > the CD to load RedBoot.
>
> Just for interest, what actually would need adopting? If it works for
> a floppy, why would it not work for a bootable CD?

CDs use a 2k sector size. So I think the 0xAA55 at the end of the
first sector would need moving up to the 2k boundary. The code that
reads RedBoot in would need to be adjusted to work in 2k sector sizes.

Also, I am not sure that the straightforward approach to put the image
on the first n sectors of a floppy will necessarily work with a CD.

But I don't really know. If the BIOS hides all this and makes it look
like a floppy, then maybe it will just work.

The main thrust of my post was that with GRUB installed on the CD,
there should not be any need to do any of this.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
eCosCentric Limited     http://www.eCosCentric.com/   The eCos experts