Device driver implementation questions

I am finding the way device drivers are implemented in eCos to be
slightly confusing so was looking for some help. The main source of my
confusion is the need for some sort of interface under the io package
and then another part of the driver in the devs package. I have looked
at examples like the serial driver and understand how it works in that
context, but am having trouble seeing the bigger picture. Should
drivers for all types of devices follow this split implementation
design? Furthermore, can someone provide me an analogy between the
eCos driver model and Linux, for example? I don't see this two layer
method in Linux so am hoping someone can clarify this.

Thanks.