Re: how to check my modifications to the kernel without a board?

Because my command-line ecosconfig does not work, I tried to use
graphic configtool to try the tests suggested by andrew.

But I met some problems:
1. If I want to run the eCos on the vmware, I think I need a .bin file
to generate the floppy image and load to the vmware. When I use
redboot, I know there is a option in the config file to choose
("Redboot ROM monitor/Redboot HAL options/Build RedBoot binary image")
and I can get a bin file in the generated install folder. But without
redbboot, I do not know how to generate the bin file?

2. I want to try the tests cases using configtool. but it seems the
hardware platform should be connected, does it? Does that mean if I
want to do the test, I should run the vmware at the same time?

Would you like to give me some advice about these problems? Thank you so much!

On 6/14/07, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 05:14:18PM +0200, xiaolu zhao wrote:
> Hi, I met a big problem, would you like to give me some advices?
>
> I did some modifications to the ecos Kernel code(like in sched.cxx,
> thread.hxx etc.). But I have no a real hardware board. So I want to
> use VMware as a virtual machine to see the results.Is it possible?

Should be, but i have never done it myself. However, i would actually
recommend using the synthetic target on Linux.

> I tried the redbbot on the Vmware and the "hello.c" example works. But
> after I modified the kernel code and rebuild the ecos using the
> configtool, it did not give any compilation complaints. I know it is
> impossible, there should be a lot of errors in the code. Does Redbbot
> have nothing to do with the ecos kernel files?

Redboot does not use the kernel.

> If the redboot has nothing to do with the kernels, how can I check my
> modificaiton to the kernel files with VMare?

I would suggest you use the kernel test cases. These are good tests to
see if your changes have broken anything.

Try doing:

ecosconfig new pc_rltk8139
edit ecos.ecc and change CYG_HAL_STARTUP to floppy
ecosconfig tree
make -s tests

Once you have fixed all the compiler error you can run the test cases
in install/tests/kernel/current.

Andrew