Update flash in field

For debug purposes we have programmed our flash with RedBoot, an FPGA
image and an elf eCos firmware image. FPGA and firmware images have all
been programmed using the RedBoot command prompt (load and fis create).
We need to upgrade the firmware in the field. Is it possible to access
the fis commands from eCos? Or should I be using the flash_read and
flash_program from the flash API supplied by eCos?

Thanks in advance
Paul Magee