FreeBSD Stack issues

Hello,
We are running the i386 PC eCos build with a Intel PRO 100 nic card. Some of our customers report that the network stack is not responding on busy network segments or directley on the internet. It seems as though broadcasts are somehow causing a problem with the stack. We have multicast shut off.. We are running about 100 threads with open ports and a system tick of 1000/second. Our network parameters are as follows:

memory 0x200000
memory for network dynamic 8388608
mbuf memory 8388608
clusters size 16777216
max open sockets 2048
number of pending events 2048

Any ideas on how to debug this would be appritaited.

Steve