RE: network problem

Rick -

I have just run to ground a problem with very similar symptoms. It turned
out that the 'socket' pool ("zone") was depleted by unrecoverable, stale
TCP connection records. I tracked this down by adding a counter for
allocated/ deallocated data structures from that pool and diagnostic
printouts of the count as sockets were allocated or freed. Though we
noticed the problem with web inquiries, it turned out to have other
effects - like your inability to open a 'telnet' connection.

As I understand eCos 'zones', each is initially allocated a fixed memory
block based on the size of a specific data structure and the number of
such structures they are expected to provide. Thus a simple counter will
reflect where you stand with respect to a particular pool's capacity and
you probably don't have to dig into the zone alloc/dealloc mechanism.

HTH.

 - John Mills

DISCLAIMER: I'm a relative beginner with eCos.