Re: ecos application problem

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 05:35:47PM +0800, albert prasetyo wrote:
> Hi Sergey;
> Thank you for your info. It provides me further understanding on how
> redboot and ecos work.  Actually, my board (AT91RM9200) is designed to
> communicate through PC using 1 serial port only (DBGU port). Is there
> any way to print "Hello World" (i.e. Application message) using only
> one port?  Moreover, my board does not have spare LED, the LEDs are
> only used to signal whether the board is turned on or not and Ethernet
> connection.  Thank you for your attention.

Be sure! I don't know your hardware, sorry. But, If I remember, you ran
that eCos application using the RedBoot 'go' command and saw a mangled
output, is it right? So, your eCos application works! Did you try to use
GDB to download and run any eCos test? If you have a working RedBoot for
your target and it (RedBoot) contains the GDB interface (cdl_interface
CYGINT_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_STUBS), try to use even GDB 5.3 from eCosCentric.

Just a conspectus (1-2-3), if you did install eCos stuff on Linux box...

1. Build eCos

ecosconfig new "your_target_name" minimal \
&& ecosconfig tree \
&& make -s

2. Build a minimalist 'hello'

cat <<_EOF>hello.c
cyg_start(){diag_printf("hello, world!\n");}
_EOF

make hello CFLAGS='-O0 -g' LDFLAGS='-Linstall/lib -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib'

3. Run that 'hello' using GDB

arm-elf-gdb -nw -nx -q hello

Note: at the least, it's needed to connect itself using the GDB remote
protocol (suppose, /dev/ttyS0 is your port), reset a board before to do
this.

On GDB promp (gdb) just try to enter commands (again, it's 1-2-3)

target remote /dev/ttyS0
load
cont

Are you seeing something now?

If you aren't... Sorry. They talk that M$ + Cygwin + Insight + Java +
Eclipse IDE + ... are good things for beginners. Sorry, I don't believe
them.  They cannot say you, Let's do '1-2-3' and get the result. They
offer a tour is containing a lot of screenshots...

But, it's pretty simple just to grab and unpack ONE gnutools tarball for
Linux (ftp://ecos.sourceware.org/pub/ecos/gnutools/i386linux) and get
the result in a few minutes.

	Sergei