Re: rename CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM to CYG_HAL_STARTUP_REDBOOTRAM

Jürgen Lambrecht wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In my view the CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM startup mode does not say what it
> really is, in reality it is  CYG_HAL_STARTUP_REDBOOTRAM: a RAM mode ecos
> does not initialize the virtual vector table because it supposes that
> RedBoot has done that. Indeed, when debugging with RedBoot, you want to
> define with RedBoot to where the (diag_)printf is sent to, and when
>
> But we use a JTAG debugger, that directly loads the image into RAM.
> Therefore, the virtual vector table is not initialized, and the
> (diag_)printf statements do not work and let the SW crash.
> The best thing would be to add a new startup mode to ecos:
> CYG_HAL_STARTUP_RAM next to the existing (renamed)
> CYG_HAL_STARTUP_REDBOOTRAM.
> What do you think?
>
> For the moment, to be able to work with the JTAG debugger, I do it with
> a trick:
> - I use the CYG_HAL_STARTUP_ROMRAM startup mode, because the linker
> files (.ldi) are to good ones
> - but in my hal_platform_setup, I removed the copy code from ROM to RAM.
> This works.

You don't mention what platform/architecture this is for.

The default configurations are normally set up for a RedBoot environment.
If you have a target where this is not the case, then you should indeed
configure eCos appropriately.  There are CDL options which cover all
of the necessary settings and could easily be forced/defaulted for
your target.

For PowerPC targets, I use the attached settings
  (ecosconfig import ppc_stand_alone.ecm)

cdl_component CYGDBG_HAL_DIAG_TO_DEBUG_CHAN {
    user_value 0
};

cdl_option CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS {
    user_value 0
};

cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR {
    user_value 0
};

cdl_option CYGSEM_HAL_POWERPC_COPY_VECTORS {
    user_value 1
};