How to use the simulators

Hi,
I am trying to use the simulators for the hello world program but I
can not make it work, it just freezes with no result. I am using the
arm simulator but i also tried  the others(powerpc, mimps32 etc).
$ arm-elf-gdb
GNU gdb 5.3 (eCosCentric)
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf".
(gdb) file hello
Reading symbols from hello...done.
(gdb) target sim
Connected to the simulator.
(gdb) load
Start address 0x4000040
Transfer rate: 401408 bits in <1 sec.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /opt/ecos/ecos-2.0/examples/hello

after waiting 10 minutes i`ve closed the application. I have a p4 at
3Ghz  so i dont see how a simple program need more time to execute.
I`ve compiled the example using the makefile that was in that folder.
Please give some advice to make this work.

Razone