Re: How to use the simulators

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 03:20:11PM +0200, badiu raz wrote:
> > I am a newbie to ecos so i dont really understand how the simulator
> > works. I`ve got your point but still dont know what to do. I`ve
> > compiled the samples and run them in the simulator like previously
> > shown. And all the instruction i`ve seen on the web do not mention any
> > extra steeps. So if you could be so kind to tell me what I am doing
> > (or not doing) wrong I will be most than grateful.(I just need to run
> > the hello world program)
>
> Please don't top post.
>
> Try looking at this:
>
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/user-guide/setup-tx39-sim.html
>
> the tx39 simulator does have a simulated serial port as far as i
> remember, but its about 7 years since i used it, so maybe im wrong.

The simulators in GDB were mostly designed to allow the compiler
writers to test their code. Therefore most simulators don't implement
all of the instruction set, and don't have any device support.

Some simulators are more complete. As Andrew says, the TX39 simulator
is fully functional, as is the PowerPC simulator, although you have to
configure it correctly.

If you cannot use the Linux synthetic target, then an alternative is
to use a PC emulator like Bochs or Qemu. Just treat it like a PC and
build eCos to boot from floppy.

--
Nick Garnett                                     eCos Kernel Architect
eCosCentric Limited     http://www.eCosCentric.com/   The eCos experts