Adding xscale support to my eCos config

  Coming from a long background developing Applications in Java to the embedded world is quite a switch so please bear with me.  I've got an eCos configuration working based on the latest from CVS for an ARM9 based target from Atmel.  I've written simple applications in C, linked against the eCos libs and successfully executed them on my target.  So, my question:  My target supports an extended DSP instruction set (xscale).  I see an xscale package in the eCos I've checked out but it is not clear to me how I get from my current eCos configuration to one in which I can make calls from my C application to make use of the xscale instruction set.  I would appreciate any hints.  Thanks!