Re: question of __RedBoot_IDLE_TAB__?

On 2008-01-31, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:

>>> hal/common/current/include/hal_tables.h
>>
>> It's just plain brilliant.  I've used that scheme on several
>> other (non-eCos) projects, and it _very_ neatly solves the
>> problem of keeping modules isolated while allowing an easy way
>> for the modules to provide various "entry points" for the main
>> system to use without the main system actually having to be
>> aware at compile time of what modules are going to be present
>> at run time.
>>

> Thanks (my idea, inspired by the Linux kernel).
>
> The sad part is that for this to work, the module(s) have to
> be available to the linker (hence libextras.a) which sort of
> criples the ability of the selective linking process.

That's never been an issue for any of the projects where I've
used it.

It allows me to have an easy way to build two different
versions of an application (with different feature sets) by
simply linking a different set of object files.  You don't have
to make any of a module's symbols visible outside the modules
and you don't have to edit an include file and then recompile
the "main" module to let it know that a different set of
modules are now included.

It also makes it easy to comment out or "ifdef" out debugging
or diagnostic features without having to also comment out calls
to them in other modules.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm also against
                                  at               BODY-SURFING!!