Re: Procedure to release GPL code for eCos

Andrew Lunn wrote:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 06:16:34PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:
So for this port from Linux to ecos, is the FSF copyright assignment necessary or optional?

It is not even possible. You don't own the code so you cannot assign
it to FSF.
So the copyright assignment would only come into the picture for new code. That clears things up a lot. Thanks.

There are also a couple of files that have been taken from eCos and modified. Since these files would also need to be released under GPL, should the eCos license at the top of the file be removed and the GPL be inserted instead? Or should we include both?
Right now, all we have is some "hello world" and basic test applications. No real world stuff. So no issues with releasing those either.

Just one more thing. Should we make this ported code into a separate library that can be linked when making the final binary, or add it to libtarget.a?

I would make it an eCos package. ecosconfig will work with multiple
repositories. So if somebody wants to use the packet, they just need
to download your package from where ever and then set ECOS_REPOSITORY
appropriately.

The important thing here is that the code is stored somewhere separate
with a big fat warning it is GPL, not mod GPL.
     Andrew

I'm guessing that an ecosforge/ sourceforge page would be what we are looking for. We would probably need to add something on the home page specifying that it is GPL code. Plus the files would carry the license as well. Would that be enough?