Re: On ARM7 can one of FIQ/IRQ be used for non-eCos stuff?

On 2008-04-02, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> The main point of the CDL would be to avoid having to fork the
>> arm/arch code.  I don't really like maintaining my own
>> separate versions of files unless I absolutely have to.
>> Besides, somebody else might actually want to use the new
>> "feature".
>
> Yes. I think providing an official way how to use the FIQ with
> lowest possible overhead under eCos would be good. Some kind
> of communication with eCos is required I think, e.g. a
> recommended way how to generate a regular interrupt so that if
> some condition is detected in the FIQ handler a regular ISR
> can overtake.

I was thinking about that.  We're not sure yet if we need to be
able to do that or not -- I'm guessing we will probably want to.

Is there a platform-independant way to trigger an ISR from
software?  IIRC, it's pretty easy to do so with the interrupt
controller in the part I'm using, but that's platform
dependent.  That doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means
that everybody who wants to do that would have to add support
to the HAL that they're using.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm ANN LANDERS!!
                                  at               I can SHOPLIFT!!