guidnace needed on steps to build your own embedded linux device?

hello,

what do i need to build my own embedded linux device? how does one go about it?
is redboot and ecos a complete system?

As an example:
Has anyone here on the forum worked with/used Freecom FSG gateway? If yes, would you please help me understand  how does one goes about building such a device? what comes first and in what order? what established companies like processor manufacturer  / [you gys eCos and Redbbot] can do and what user has to do?

mainboard: readymade by intel?<who else makes them?>
main_processor? intel / arm ?
video processor? <which> / <what are the possiblities>
sound processor?
other adapters like sata/e-sata/usb/wlan etc. <is this hardware seperate or onboard?>

If you have a better example can you please help me understand using that?

with warm regards.

-BG
*developer level: novice