ping reply not synchronized with the ping request

Hello,

Now I've got the Ethernet driver running for my AT91SAM9260-EK based board (if_at91.c - see previous posts of me), I have some strange behavior with the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack:

-> at startup a gratuitous ARP is sent out
<- when a ARP request arrives
-> again a gratuitous ARP is sent out
<- then the ICMP ping request 1 arrives
-> a normal ARP reply is sent
<- ping request 2
-> ping reply 1
<- ping request 3
When I stop the ping, and start again after clearing the arp cache, the last
"lost" ping reply is sent as response to the first ARP request.

It is like the TX or RX part holds on to 1 packet, and only releases it when a
new packet arrives.

Why again a gratuitous ARP - is the driver initialized again?
Or does the driver normally sends out 2 gratuitous ARPs at startup?

Kind regards,
Jürgen