Re: Problem with loader call using arm-elf-gcc

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:22:20 +0200, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:12:58PM +0100, Bart Veer wrote:

    > arm-elf-gcc -g  -nostartfiles -Wl,--gc-sections
    > -T"../at91lib/boards/at91sam7x-ek/at91sam7x256/flash.lds" -o
    > bin/My5-at91sam7x256-flash.elf obj/board_cstartup.o obj/main.o
    > obj/stdio.o obj/dbgu.o obj/pio.o obj/board_memories.o
    > obj/board_lowlevel.o

You are using the wrong argument to arm-elf-gcc: you should use
-nostdlib, not -nostartfiles. In the absence of -nostdlib the linker
will try to use the standard newlib C library instead of eCos, and
that library has been stripped from the eCos toolchain build to reduce
the download size. You also appear to be using a non-eCos linker
script, which will also cause problems. Please read the eCos User's
Guide to find out how applications should be linked with eCos.

Hi Bart

He is not using eCos, just the eCos toolchain. I'm guessing he wanted
a prebuild ARM toolchain and stumbled upon the eCos one and tried to
use it for his application.

Andrew

Hi Andrew and Bart
both of you are right. I plan to go for eCOS, but firstly I want to build, run and debug a simple program. Just to make sure these tools are doing what I intend them to do. Read: That I understand how to handle these tools. Obviously, the task is more intriguing than I anticipated :-(

Because Andrew said, that building a arm-elf-toolchain is not so difficult, I am now doing exactly this. Firstly, I download gcc-4.3.0 from a mirror site and now I am reading the instructions. It's not so simple either..... :-( Actually I had to install quite a few new things and in some cases, the tools provided by aptitude are not up to the job, because they are of an older version. I installed them anyway, but will probably have to come back to this issue. I am going on with good hope.....
thank you and best regards robert