Using JFFS2 with Redboot

I've been trying to add the JFFS2 package to my Redboot build and when
searching the archives I found this patch submitted by Arcom a few years
back:

http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-patches/2005-04/msg00022.html

It seems that Redboot was over writes areas of heap1 when loading an
image and that other packages that use the heap1 section get trashed.

It doesn't look like this patch for adding an explicit workspace linker
section was commited, so my question is was this problem resolved in
some other way or does it still exist?

Thanks

Steven