eCos 3.0 planning

eCos community

The assignment of copyright in the eCos public sources to the FSF is now complete and it is time to push forward with our plans for a new release of eCos. A new release at this time is important for a number of reasons:

a) It allows us to draw a line which marks eCos under FSF copyright ownership. For this reason alone, we will be bumping the major version number and make this an "eCos 3.0" release.

b) Although most members of the eCos community work from our CVS repository, a new release will generate publicity for the project and send a clear message to technology decision makers.

c) A new release will provide a better experience for users downloading and installing eCos for the first time.

We plan to incorporate the following new features into the eCos 3.0 release:

* Support for more recent GNU toolchain components
* Flash v2 infrastructure and example drivers (supporting multiple flash
  parts on a single hardware platform)
* Support for Microsoft Vista within the eCos host tools

Of course, the new release will also incorporate the numerous enhancements, bug fixes and platform support packages that have been contributed since the last release.

As with previous releases, we will aim for verification of eCos architectural support by testing on a representative set of hardware platforms to which the maintainers have access. Offers of assistance in testing on some of the less common architectures would be gratefully received. Please contact the eCos maintainers at:

ecos-maintainers@ecos.sourceware.org

We will be aiming to release eCos 3.0 towards the end of September 2008 and will therefore branching in August. If you have any local patches that you would like to see incorporated into the new release, please submit them for review as soon as possible, allowing time for the copyright assignment process.

John Dallaway
eCos 3.0 release manager