Device driver open & close

Hey All,

Is there a mechanism by which a device driver can be notified when the application opens or closes the device. For example, I have an LCD in my system, and I would like to turn it on when the application opens the device and turn it off when it gets closed. Then turn it back on again if it gets re-opened, etc.

Thanks,
Frank