Re: Re: eCos Wifi/WPA support

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com> wrote:
>> There are a handful of newer parts with either open or reverse
>> engineered interfaces one could start from, but it's a
>> non-trivial effort.
>
> I think we can assume that the interface spec for the Wifi chip
> would be available from the manufacturer.  I can't imagine a
> vendor expecting to get a design win without providing specs
> for the part in question.

ROFL - you obviously haven't been working on 802.11 for long.  If you
lot of info (and flamewars) about who is completely open, who is kinda
open, and who is just stonewalling on wireless stuff (and that is
mostly for x86 - it's worse for embedded!)

By and large the attitude is that if you're not doing windows, not a
cell phone or ipod maker, you'd darn well better have a zillion units
or a zillion dollars for NRE or you're SOL as far as manufacturer
support.

--
Hardware, n.:
 The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.