Re: Cross compiling Python for eCos

Lorenzo Mancini wrote:
> Hello Gary,
>
> I'm trying to build Python for the eCos platform.  I'm reading right now
> that you succeeded in this task some time ago:
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2006-06/msg00075.html
>
> Can you send me the Python cross-compiling example, even if you didn't
> polish it up properly?  I'm going through hacking the original building
> route of Python to match eCos structure, but it's really a pain :)

That's *not* the way to go.  Treat eCos like any other POSIX system
and just add some wrapping to make things fit together.

> Probably the route of configure and Makefile hacking I've used with
> Stackless on Nintendo DS (see http://www.develer.com/~lmancini/dspython
> if interested) isn't the most effective here with eCos...
>
> Thanks in advance!

First of all, questions like these probably belong on the
eCos mailing list (CC'd)

I've packed up the tree I used to build Python.  It's a bit
old (Python 2.3) and there's no documentation other than the
Makefile.  You can find it at:
  http://www.mlbassoc.com/examples/python_on_eCos.tgz

You'll need to adjust the Makefile for your target, as well
as the configuration file.  Once built, you'll have a Python
interpreter which runs using a file system (ROM/RAM/JFFS2)
of your choice (for all the Python packages, etc)

n.b. NO WARRANTY or SUPPORT implied.  You're on your own;
ask on the mailing list if you have questions.