Re: Out of MBUFS

On 2008-10-15, Laurie Gellatly <laurie.gellatly@netic.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I searched the forum but did not find a good answer.
>
> I'm using an ecosCentric port for maybe 2 years now. My TCP apps kept
> running out of sockets so recently I increased the sockets and open
> files (seems like it needed both to work) and the socket issue seems
> solved. However, when the system runs for a day or two it no longer
> responds to network packets. "Out of MBUFs" prints out the serial port
> and only a reboot fixes it. The BSD stack does not recover. Can
> someone point me at a fix I have overlooked/missed.

My first guess is your Ethernet driver has a bug in it and is
causing an MBUF leak.  For example: under some obscure
condition, the Ethernet driver never notifies the network stack
that a particular packet has been sent.  The MBUFs associated
with that packet will never get free'd, and you eventually run
out of MBUFs.

Many years ago (eCos 1.3.1), using the old network stack I also
saw out of MBUF errors occur because of a race condition in the
network stack.  I have a hard time believing there are too many
bugs like that left unless you're doing something pretty
strange.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! does your DRESSING
                                  at               ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?