RE: Building redboot for i.MX31 or just building redboot for ARM

> At this point we are just focused on redboot, if there is an option. We
> have a number of redboot patches from Freescale and a working redboot
> program that is doing great things on a dev board. We just need to
> enhance the source based on our board components (flash, eth, etc..)

What you need is a copy of the source tree, the Freescale patches, and an
arm-elf tool chain (if that's what you're going to build with).

If you don't want to go through the exercise of building a tool chain, you
can try one of the ones from:

http://www.zylin.com/gccbinary.html

You will need ecosconfig and the other standard tools for building eCos.  A
full fledged explanation of how to do so is beyond the scope of this email.
That said, there is plenty of documentation available on the subject.

http://ecos.sourceware.org/docs-latest/redboot/rebuilding-redboot.html

To add support for your flash, ethernet, etc. you will either have to add the
drivers to your .ecc file via ecosconfig or configtool if the drivers already
exist.  In the case of things like flash, you will need to provide a
directory for your target if it differs from what's included after applying
the patches from Freescale.

For example, in the eCos source tree, see:

packages/devs/flash/arm/

If you have a not currently supported flash setup, then you'll need to add a
directory here for your target.  You can use one of the existing targets as a
template.  Be sure to add the CDL package information to the top level
ecos.db (packages/ecos.db) as well.

It's the same idea for the ethernet support

packages/devs/eth/arm/

--Chris