Re: Finding IP address of eCos devices from Windows/Linux PC

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Pieter-Jan Busschaert
<pieterjan.busschaert@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/10/24 Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com>
>>
>> I've got eCos devices that have DHCP enabled.
>>
>> - ping <devicename>. Here the device would need to broadcast a name
>> that Windows and Linux could pick up. Is this possible?
>

> We have solved this by adding the "FQDN" option to the DHCP messages. It
> seems to work with all DHCP+DNS servers. It is essentially the same as the
> "hostname" field, but the DHCP server uses it to automatically update the
> DNS server.

An additional requirement I have :-) is that it should be *simple*
from the users point of view...

The above is a bit heavy handed on concepts for the users...

> We have a patch here, but it probably needs copyright assignment and we are
> not yet sure if we will do that.

It would be great if you would be able to submit the patch...

Note that the eCos license does not require the assignment, it is only
required to be included in the official eCos CVS repository. A good start
would be to post it for comments...?

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html