RE: Starting new eCos project

> As already pointed out EABI is not currently supported. I would stick
> to ELF, which is well tested and understood, unless you have a strong
> reason to need EABI. It will make your life easier.

I don't know what "supported" is supposed to mean on here, as it's all
community support driven.  eCosCentric has the EABI support as part of
eCosPro now, so that's "supported" AFAIK.  I think it would be better for
more people to start using EABI as:

You can get commercial support for the tool chain if you wish.  This is what
drove me to use EABI in the first place.  Everyone used to use GCC 3.4.4 etc.
and I kept running into an ICE and code errors when building with
optimizations turned on.  No one on the GCC Bugzilla was particularly
interested in supporting an ancient release of GCC.

EABI is the way forward w/ respect to ARM ABI, at least as far as ARM is
concerned..  By using EABI, you gain binary compatibility with the ARM ADS
tool chain.

There isn't any rocket science to making EABI work, and it's nothing to be
afraid of.  I just had to go through and add a few linker sections that
didn't exist before and make a small change to the way static constructor
initialization was done.  As a result of building under the new compiler
though, I made a load of cleanups and fixes to the code base that fell out as
a result of the increased strictness.

--Chris