printf not working in ARM simulator

Hi,

We're trying to run the eCos examples such as hello.c and twothreads.c under
arm-elf-gdb with "target sim" (cygwin on a Pentium). They seem to work when
we remove the calls to printf.

We use the default configuration given by the template ARM Evaluation Board
(AEB-1), and configtool-060710.exe

malloc seems to work. Why doesn't printf work?
It hangs for a while and then exits with the message "ARMulator can't
allocate VM page: Cannot allocate memory".
On some occasions we got the message "unknown SWI encountered - ffffff -
ignoring" but we can't remember how we got it (perhaps when running Insight.
The number wasn't always ffffff).
This is similar to the message reported here:
http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-10/msg00300.html

If someone could tell us how to get printf to work under ecos and ARM
simulation mode, it would be really helpful.

Thank you,

Roy