From: Rutger Hofman [mailto:rutger@cs.vu.nl]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:15 PM
To: Himanshu Patel; 'eCos Discuss'
Subject: Re: [ECOS] FAT32 over NAND

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 07:38:02PM +0530, Himanshu Patel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We want to have FAT32 file system over NAND flash. Is it possible? What
>> approach should we take for developing the same?
>
> If you look back in the archive, last year there was some work to get
> YAFFS on NAND working. I would suggest trying to build on the NAND
> infrastructure that provided.

I implemented basic NAND flash functionality and a wrapper layer for
YAFFS2, a file system designed specifically for NAND flash. For an alpha
release (and maybe later on, beta release) of my code, see:
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~rutger/software/ecos/nand-flash/

If you want FAT32, you will have to create (port from elsewhere?) a FTL
(Flash Translation Layer) that implements lots of stuff to make FAT32
behave in a NAND-compatible way. For a discussion of this in the context
of UBIFS (the latest-greatest Linux NAND flash file system), see:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_raw_vs_ftl

An FTL should minimally provide:
- wear levelling
- garbage collection for released blocks
- bad block management
- write caching because programming has to be consecutive and in at most
a few operations.

YAFFS2 implements all this already. Is using YAFFS2 an option, maybe?

Rutger Hofman
VU Amsterdam