Re: Redboot run image issues

You may be aware that NAND flash requires a different type of driver than NOR flash. I have written an eCos NAND flash package that is in a pre-beta stage. It can be downloaded from
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~rutger/software/ecos/nand-flash/ and I welcome other testers. Since NAND flash requires a controller, chances are that you will have to write the bottom half of an NFC (NAND Flash Controller) device driver yourself. Hopefully the procedures to do that are outlined clearly in the documentation I provide.

However, I didn't attempt yet to support booting from the NAND. If it is supported at all, this is usually a two-step procedure: NFCs can sometimes be configured to load the first page(s) at boot time using some h/w procedure and run that code; these page(s) must contain code to load the rest of the bootstrap routines from following NAND flash pages. This is necessary because NAND flash cannot be randomly accessed, but can only be read a page at a time. The very first bootstrap page(s) will have to contain the code to read from NAND; and methinks it will not be easy to squeeze that code into one 2KB page, although it has been done of course.

Rutger Hofman
VU Amsterdam

joseph biswal wrote:
My final intent is to get my redboot port to boot from the NAND flash.
I am trying to run this image  from NAND flash but it gets stuck even
before spitting anything on the console. Hence i turn to the BDI
debugger where i try running the image from RAM and see if it works.

I am running on a MX31 based board with Freescale PDK1.4.