Re: linking a program for download to at91sam7x-resident redboot

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:29:40 +0100, John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk> wrote:

Hi Robert

Robert Brusa wrote:

I have configured, linked and downloaded redboot into my at91sam7x
board. Its a minimum redboot, supporting only ser0 and ser1 for direct
download into flash.

Then I wanted to change my little hello-program by linking it in such a
way to go above redboot in the flash. Actually I placed it at 0x00120000
- far above redboot - by editing the ecos-provided target.ld-file. The
memory-statement in this file now reads like this:

MEMORY
{
    ram : ORIGIN = 0x00200000, LENGTH = 0x20000
    rom : ORIGIN = 0x00120000, LENGTH = 0x80000
}

However, when running the linker, it produces errors and reports vectors
etc. to be out of rom range. Correct, but I think I do not need these
vectors here. What else do I have to change in the loader file (or
elswhere) to get a linked program to be downloadable to/with redboot
where it will be launched by a cor. redboot command (or a script later
on)? Thanks for help.

You should be able to specify the desired address of your eCos ROM startup application image via the CYGNUM_HAL_ARM_AT91_IMAGE_ADDRESS option which appears to have been implemented for exactly the purpose you describe.

John Dallaway

Hi John and Chris thank you for the hint. It helped. Now its working. Robert