Re: Re: Synthetic target on linux x86_64 host

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 12:44:13AM +0300, Tarmo Kuuse wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> Can synthetic target even be built with native x86_64 tools?
>>
>> I don't think so. Synth calls kernel system calls directly, using
>> assembly language. I expect this part needs re-writing into 64 bit
>> code.
>
> That is a bit surprising - I assumed the synthetic target was just
> another application from the compiler's side.

>From the compiler, yes, its just an application. However because eCos
has a libc, you cannot use the native libc as the interface to the
native kernel. You have to call the kernel directly. Hence the system
call issues.

> I don't know anything about the x86 or (shudder) x86-64 bowels and would
> prefer to live a long and sane life by keeping it that way :)

Then take a look at x86 emulators which you can run on 32 bit more on
top of a 64 bit system. eg http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

    Andrew