Why is FreeBSD TCP/IP missing BPF?

Hi!

I noticed that Berkeley Packet Filter (BPF) has been carefully removed from the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack. I assume there is a good reason for it. Was it deemed unnecessary or too resource-hungry, or did porting require too much effort?

I plan to implement IPv4LL which requires reading and writing ARP packets (i.e. direct access to link layer). As previously discussed on this list, no interface to link layer currently exists. More skilled eCos users seem to merrily hack together various custom solutions.

BPF appears to be a good interface to link layer. Before creating some hack of my own, could somebody please give a bit of background as to why it has been discarded?

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse