Re: eCos bring up on OMAP3530 (Cortex-A8)

vivin uthappa <vivinuthappa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>
>     Is there a toolchain available for ARMv7 Cortex-A8 architecture
> and does eCos build properly with that toolchain? Me and my team are
> trying to bring up eCos on OMAP3530. And we are currently doing a
> feasibility study on the idea.
>
>     We have used the
> arm-2007q3-51-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu toolchain from
> CodeSourcery for Linux OS. Can we use the same toolchain for eCos too?

No. Linux toolchains are unsuitable for use with eCos. Use the EABI
toolchain that is distributed with eCos. However, it may need to be
rebuilt to include A8 runtime libraries.

>     I have seen that there already is support for ARMv7 Cortex-M3
> available. To start our work on OMAP3530 can we use the eCos sources
> for Cortex-M3 as reference?

No. The M variant only executes the Thumb2 instruction set and has a
totally different exception model. It is essentially a different
architecture. The A and R variants are much closer to the existing
ARM9 architecture and should be supported with careful extensions to
the existing ARM architecture HAL, possibly with the addition of
Cortex-A and -R variant HALs.

--
Nick Garnett                                       eCos Kernel Architect
eCosCentric Limited    http://www.eCosCentric.com       The eCos experts